BA (cum laude) (University of KwaZulu-Natal), LLB (UNISA)
Specialisations and Interests:
Pauline is a Partner in Shipping & Logistics at Shepstone & Wylie’s Cape Town office. Pauline specializes in maritime law, and practices both “wet” and “dry” work relating to admiralty litigation, including the enforcement of maritime claims in South Africa, judicial sales and matters consequent to casualties (including access to and preservation of evidence).
In working with the senior partner heading up the department in Cape Town, she has assisted with a number of maritime matters, maritime casualties and matters consequent thereto such as the procuring of access for surveyors and other experts and the preservation of evidence, including:
- The matter of the MV NM Cherry Blossom, where the firm represented the time charterers of the vessel, detained in Algoa Bay since May 2017, due to the attachment of the cargo of rock phosphate on board
- The issue of protective writs in South Africa, where the firm, representing members of a large P&I Club sought to secure its claims against the beleaguered Hanjin Shipping Co Ltd (“Hanjin”) for payments due arising out of the charter of its vessels by Hanjin. This matter has presently resulted in conflicting judgments out of two of the divisions of the High Court of South Africa
- The MV Kiani Satu, a container vessel that ran aground in August 2013 off the Goukamma River estuary, off Buffels Bay, Knysna (where the firm represented the vessel’s owners)
- The MV Panos Earth that was towed into False Bay in 2012 following a main engine breakdown off the southern coast of Africa (where the firm represented the salvors who subsequently applied for and obtained an order for the judicial sale of the vessel)
- The collision between the Sardauna and Orionis near the port of Cape Town in 2011 (where the firm represented the owner of the Sardauna).
Prior to joining the Shipping & Logistics team, Pauline’s expertise included general property transactions and property financing, residential, sectional and commercial transactions pertaining to deceased estates, sectional title developments, township developments, subdivisions and consolidations.
Pauline is an admitted Conveyancer and a member of the Maritime Law Association of South Africa (MLA).