The Pension Law team has a diverse legal background in labour law, corporate governance and dispute resolution, ensuring balanced solutions to employee benefit issues.
- They pride themselves on understanding up front their client’s expectations and requirements and they continually strive to deliver the utmost level of quality in all dealings with clients.
- They endeavour to ensure that their advice is always relevant and practical.
- They continually strive to deliver the utmost level of quality in all dealings with clients.
Expertise of the pension law team includes:
- Representation on boards of trustees as independent principal officers or trustees on a variety of funds (from large self-administered funds to small externally administered funds and from defined benefit to defined contribution to hybrid funds)
- Representing funds, boards of trustees, employers, members and beneficiaries in High Court (as well as all the appeal forums), arbitration, Appeals Board, FAIS Ombud and Pension Fund Adjudicator litigation
- Offering strategic advice on fund structures, surplus apportionment schemes, the conversion of funds and outsourcing of pensioners, insured benefit arrangements and altering contribution rates
- Drafting of fund rules and amendments, contracts, policies and all forms of member communication
- Reviewing and drafting service level agreements including but not limited to, administration agreements, actuarial services agreements, consulting agreements, transmission management agreements, investment consulting agreements etc.
- Providing written or in-person trustee and member training
- Performing due diligence exercises to assess legal risks associated with transactions relating to transfers of businesses, employees and retirement funds
- Advising on and resolving other employee benefits matters involving medical schemes, share schemes and group policies for death or disability benefits